May 2, 2012

My Little Shack Back in the Woods


A little while back I posted about my red flower bench made from a bed and on it there was some decorative pieces added that came from a post that my dad had ripped in half for me. I also showed those same ripped posts pieces above the windows of my garden shed that my sweet hubby, Alan, made for me. So many readers were more interested in the garden shed than the bench, even though that picture was from right after it was mostly finished 2 years ago and moved to it's location.

Here is that picture:
I wasn't even posting this to any Linky parties, but it was Featured on a couple anyway (even with the blue tarp on the front porch)!

Here is my garden shed today:
door arbor, she shed, garden decor, outdoor decor, arbor, repurpose ideas, storm door repurpose,
It's still not anywhere near how I want it to look, but I think it's looking better than before. I'm afraid to rake up the leaves for fear that the weeds will take over until I can get plants planted and mulch down. 

And what do you think about the arbor? Would you believe that is made from storm doors? Yep! We went to a garage sale that was way back in someone's back 40 and she had 5 of these storm doors for sale and I negotiated them all for $20. She was curious as to why we needed FIVE storm doors (we're not sure why SHE had 5 either)- after my husband blabbed what my intentions were, she started having 2nd thoughts and I told her the deal was done and I ain't selling them. I'm pretty sure she was kicking herself after that cuz she didn't look too happy. In addition to the storm doors, which were black and I just spray painted them white, and being the hoarder that I am, I had been saving some wrought iron brackets that I picked up half price from Hobby Lobby years ago and we used those along the top. (yes, there are twinkle icicle lights on there too)


storm door repurpose, garden art, outdoor art, outdoor decor,

I also had seen an idea from a great blogger by the name of Susan, and her blog is called Homeroad. I pinned this idea to my Pinterest board & I told myself, and the blogger, that I WAS doing this on my garden shed! Here is her version in her daughter's room. Too cute or what?

I thought to myself that I may or may not get lucky enough to find those same fence edgings and would you believe 2 weeks later, I DID! (they're only a tad different than Homeroad's) And they were on clearance because the store was closing! Not a huge savings at 30% off, but they weren't that expensive to begin with. I painted them white and my hubby hung them up for me. I kinda wanted them a little lower, but I ain't gonna complain...since he did it as a surprise.


wrought iron, plant stand, porch decor, outdoor decor, garden art,
Isn't that the cutest thang? And they were the perfect size for the windows. Oh, and that wrought iron planter? That was my hubby doing some curb shopping for me. He's a sweetie like that (even though he complains about it) and I didn't have to do a thing to it. It just don't get no better than that!

And here is the door I HAD to have! 
door decor, spring decor, summer decor
The original intentions for this door was that it was going to be made into a potting bench. I saw one on the internet and wanted to make one using a door like this. Luckily, I found the door, along with the barn doors that are on the side of my garden shed and the half door that is a decorative piece by the shed. I just love the curved windows on this. But when my hubby said he was making me a garden shed, I decided that I needed to have this door on it. It doesn't have a knob on it yet, but I have an old one bought. Alan just has to rework the door to fit the knob, it's so close to working perfectly, but not quite. figures. Oh, and the wreath was a garage sale find last summer from my neighbor.


window decorating idea, garden art, outdoor art, outdoor decor
This is the window on the side of the shed. The shelf underneath it was originally on the door with the cute cut-work bracket underneath. It wasn't original to the door and would have been on the inside of the shed. I felt it would get in the way, so I had Alan remove it and put it here where it would be more noticeable and better appreciated by me. It's not decorated very well yet, but I'm slowly but surely getting there. The scroll piece above the window was a $1 garage sale find and it was black before I spray painted it. Spray paint is good.

garden decor

So there it is so far. I don't know how much more I'll get done with this in 2012, but I'm loving it so far. I am trying to get the flower arrangement figured out for the big rock garden between the gate and the shed. That is for another post.

Have a creative day!
 Photobucket
I'm linking up to these parties:



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialThe Shabby Nest





10 comments:

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

This is sooo cute! I'm about to do up our new shed, thanks for the inspiration!
♥Linsey

Amber said...

Hi Beth :)
Your shed is turning out really great! I am LOVING all of the wrought iron! Great job!
amber

Tracy said...

I just love your shed.
I got one made years ago, and hubby stained it while I was gone on a girls weekend.
It is way to dark, but what could I say, he had it done.
I think I need to add some pretties to it as well ;)

Unknown said...

I love your shed, so pretty, I would love to have one. I would be so pretty to play with! I love how your's is coming together! I'm now a follower!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Your potting shed is too sweet! Just love all the details ... and I'm sure it looks amazing at night with those twinkle lights turned on the trellis ...

:)

Linda
www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

Ula Heximer said...

Love the new look of the shed! The fence edging at the window is cute. You’re pretty lucky you to find one. I agree with you that it should be a little bit lower, but it’s still great. And oh, the wrought iron planters that your husband brought actually made the window more beautiful!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Love this potting shed. I pinned the window with the turned leg...looks cut in 1/2! and screwed up there with that little fence.

if I ever get to copy you...this will be it! Your window dressings on your potting shed!
~ via FJI, Pat

Nadine @ Chic with the Kool-Aid Mustache said...

I'm just in love with your little 'shack'! What a great little creative cave...and I'm coveting your storm door trellis. I've been on the lookout for a set of wooden doors to make one with however I love this look so much better!

Amrita and Ravi said...

Hi,
The arbor is gorgeous! How did you manage to hold them to the ground without it falling?
I would like do the same with the storm doors I have!
Thanks in advance.
best
Amrita

Barbara Jean said...

Found you on Pinterest. Love what you did with those doors. and what a score! 3/$20!

You know I'm gonna be lookin' for some now too. =)

off to see more of your page.
blessings
Barb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...