Mar 22, 2012

At My Garden Gate

I know the weather has been in a crazy role reversal around the country for the most part. It's hard to imagine that it's warmer here in northern Indiana than in California or Arizona! At one point yesterday, my thermometer read 90F (32C) degrees!! I'm just glad I didn't pay for a vacation to someplace "warm" when I don't have to leave my own back yard. We just can't swim yet. We aren't about to get the pool ready this early either. We're supposed to get back down to normal next week though, but we've have record breaking temps for 8 days and today could be too.

It's been so warm here that my flowers are not able to take the heat and they're withering quickly. I try to keep them watered, but I can't keep up with my sandy soil. And I'm not usually putting out my yard decor this early in the season, but I thought I needed to start doing something so I dug out my metal flowers and butterflies. The wagon wheel stays out all year long.

Barn Door, garden decor, outdoor decor, spring garden, zone 5 garden, daffodils, hyacinth, rustic, farmhouse, farm house, rusty decor

At least this is doable for starters and I think it looks pretty with the daffodils & Hyacinths blooming together. Some of the dafs and one Hyacinth are drooping from the heat already. I just planted them last year.

I acquired this spare bottom half of a barn door from a multiple door purchase a few years ago. I was buying the door to the front of my garden shed and a full set of barn doors for the side of the shed as well from a place that was changing ownership to the son, who was changing the business format, when the guy told me that I would HAVE to take this one too for free. OK OK mister, if you're gonna twist my arm like that. hee hee!

Can you see the Home Interior butterfly resting on the large flower? Isn't it sweet? And he just fits on one of the petals perfectly. The other butterfly on the turquoise flower is a laser cut iron butterfly that I've let get all rusty. My husband thinks I'm weird & nuts for letting it go rusty. He acts like it's going to rust away in just a couple of years, but it's already been 5 years and it's still doing just fine because it is pretty thick.

I changed out the photo on here from the one that was on here earlier today. I wanted to add my vintage Radiator coolant filler can (aka watering can) in the shot and the rusty metal sphere that I got at a flea market last fall for $1!! I tell ya, I can sniff that stuff out sometimes. LOL!

I noticed also that my Hyacinths are trying to droop from the near 90 degree weather we've been having, so I did a flower friendly way of propping them back up - at least if you have daffodils growing behind them, this works. 


spring flowers, zone 5 garden
I took 2 leaves from the daffodil that's growing behind the Hyacinth and carefully tied it around the bloom stem of the flower. It works like a charm unless you get a good rain or strong enough winds. I've heard that you can run a coat hanger wire directly in the middle of the flower stem all the way into the ground and it won't hurt them, but this is less work and I wouldn't be so lucky for them not to get damaged from the wire. ;^)

*****************************************************
This project was Featured at:

 Photobucket
 I'm linking up to the following Link parties:
Visit thecsiproject.com

20 comments:

Tracy said...

I love this area that you put together, so neat.
Good tip about the drooping flowers.
I am letting my daughters plan out our garden this year.

foreverdecorating said...

Adorable!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

1) Adorable
2) I too am concerned that my bloom perennials will soon shrivel and die
3) I didn't realize you were in the Midwest. I'm Chicago. And my blog buddy from WI, Jamie at Crappy, Scrappy, Happy started a FB Midwest Bloggers page so we can all connect. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/366045866763251/

:)

Linda

Stacey Stuwe said...

Your garden gate is really cute!! Thanks for stopping by today and visiting my lamp shade project and your right, super easy to sew!

Leslie's Garden said...

I love your garden gate with the pretty daffs and hyacinths blooming! A very pretty early Spring area to delight the senses! Amazing how warm it's been there. I'm in Georgia and our temps are unseasonable, too, but only about 83 degrees. I think I would cry if it got in to the 90's this early!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Love this garden gate and the whole vignette ! I can't believe those temps! Poor flowers. Thanks so much for linking up!
Igottacreate.blogspot.com
Spring Fling linky party

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

oh my goodness I love this. those rusty hinges are too cool...and the colorful flowers, real and metal make it the perfect spring look. I'm pinning it. :)

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving such an inspiring comment. Love your garden gate with the metal flowers on it. It looks like Spring is here.

Jody

Myric said...

Oh that is the cutest thing!
Sorry about the mean heat but your garden looks like the first day of spring. Very lovely :)

xoxo
Myric

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Cute cute cute. did you make your metal flowers?

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Featuring you on Facebook today! :)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Igottacreate/100573240032625?sk=wall

Stephanie said...

What a great collection of outdoor decorations!

the cape on the corner said...

that is beautiful!

Unknown said...

So fun and springy! Love what you did! Thanks for linking at Shine on Fridays!

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Very cute area that you have created!

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

So cute! I'm going to feature this at my party today.

Emily said...

This is so pretty! It would be beautiful in the new area of our garden. Great job!

chateau chic said...

Your garden gate is FABULOUS!!!! So whimsical and fun.
Mary Alice

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Saw this over at CSI Project and fell in love! I love everything about this! You have a fun blog and I'm happy to be your newest GFC follower and looking forward to more!

Miss LindaLee said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad that I was browsing Pinterest and saw your beautiful door in your yard. We're starting our yard finally and I want to make individual areas where one can just admire. Now I'm here and your newest blog follower. Beautiful blog. LindaLee at
CrossN' My Stitches

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...