Apr 3, 2012

End Table - 2nd in a series


I managed to get this 2nd end table completed, but I had a very sad event to attend last week that took me away from it for a few days. My cousin's 14 year old son had hung himself. They really don't know if it was a suicide or an accident since there wasn't a note and he didn't show any signs of being unhappy, but they had learned "after the fact" that he was sort of being bullied at school. So tragic and even though I didn't know him that well (they live 2+ hours away) I remember him being so cute and bubbly.  It just makes my heart ache for my cousin, the boy's father and the entire family. Many prayers for them are going to be needed.

And now I'll shift gears to a less depressing subject...

I have kind of started on a furniture refinishing kick in the past 6 months, although I'm not getting many pieces accomplished for that amount of time, that's for sure! I haven't had any problems buying the furniture. Heck no! I finally had to tell myself that I can no longer buy any more pieces until I get at least 3 of the ones I have completed. They're not even big pieces either. My first piece was this small vintage end table. It was sold very early on at the 1st one of my craft shows last fall, and several other people were disappointed that it had sold. Made me feel good that it was highly sought after and it was something that I made.

Then, I came across the table that I finished up today. It was at my local Habitat ReStore and I bargained the price along with another end table that happens to be a vintage piece as well. I thought for sure I had a "Before" shot of this table, but I can't find it to save my sanity, however, this sanded-top version kind of gives you an idea of what it looked like if you study the legs that weren't sanded.


This is a really solid table and I love the carved legs. For the most part, I copied the same design for this table that I did on the first table, but since the tables are very different styles, it takes on a whole different look. In fact, I loved how well this table turned out that I am SOOO tempted to keep it. And it isn't that I don't desperately need an end table, cuz I do, but I guess greed is taking over. LOL! I told myself that if I messed it up, then I would keep for myself, but I can't say that, so off to the sale it will go. (~*sigh!*~)

So, what do ya think? But don't look at the beige sculpture 1970's carpet...we're hoping to replace it with hardwood floors in some future decade.
chalk paint, diy, painted furniture, rustic, farmhouse, decor, furniture, distressed, shabby, upcycled
Add caption

Here is the top
postmark, cool table top, painted furniture, chalk paint, diy, repurpose, home decor, French
I felt like I needed to put the image on at an angle, and I like it. I got the Paris Letter image off of the Graphics Fairy blog, which is probably my most favorite place to find awesome vintage graphics for just about anything!


Unique table tops
For some reason, I had a harder time getting my image to transfer using the freezer paper method and it didn't show up well, so I had to go over the entire image with a permanent marker by hand, but I was quite happy with the outcome once I sanded it afterwards.

I went over the entire table with some Minwax clear paste wax, but I don't know that I will do that again on stained wood. It turned out beautifully on the painted surface, but I think it makes the stained top look kind of uneven. Maybe it's the pine that's creating the uneven look or maybe it's the wax...not too sure.

I had spotted a photo of Tammy's repurposed dresser (One More Time blog) that she turned into a awesome looking Coffee Station. The hinges she used sparked my memory that I had some vintage hinges that might work on my own project! Ooooh, I was excited! I had these hinges for years and never found the right project for them....until now.


Unique tables
Aren't they purdy with their rustic shading and tinge of green patina?

And I had some of these cute hardware pieces too. I only needed to buy the small brass tack nails, which was less than $1 for the box!

Even my hubby likes this table, but then again, he liked it even before I did anything to it. He said it was a good size for him to do his paperwork on in the family room where he couldn't be disturbed by the rest of us. If I kept this, it wouldn't be going in the family room anyway. He has his own low budget end table that only cost $3. It's just too heavy to move around the same way he does this one, and no, I don't want his budget table in the living room - even though they're similar in style.





*************************************
This project was featured at:



Alderberry Hill Blog


      Here's to a creative week for you too!



Photobucket 

Posting to these Link Parties:








52 comments:

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

This is totally my style. I adore it!! Everything about it is fantastic...the hinges, the graphics...everything!! So beautiful. I would be absolutely delighted for you to link up with us at Mop It Up Monday (going on all week): http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/04/mop-it-up-mondays-10.html
{HUGS},
kristi

Amanda said...

This is one adorable table! I love the color on the legs and the great Paris graphic on the top! Nicely done! I am inspired!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

One More Time Events said...

That came out soooo BEAUTIFUL!!! And the hinges really added a lot to the table! I love every thing about this end table...you do such awesome work! Thanks for the mention!

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love the idea of adding the hardware- very cool!

juli28428@gmail.com said...

My heart breaks for you, your cousin, and your family. He was at such a vunerable age and no one really understands what bullying can do to a child. If he was bullied, I so hope that the "bullier" is caught and prosecuted in some form. Blessings to you all ...

Toqua's Crafts said...

I am sorry for your family. What a tough situation to get over.
On a happier note:
I really like your table!! I really like the hardware you added. I think it really "makes" the table!

WONDERFUL job!

Inspired by you said...

You did a great job! Love the look.

Christine said...

This is a wonderful piece!! I love the design on the top!

I hope you'll share this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!! PLEASE :)
http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/p/mothers-day-gift-guide.html

Christine said...

Sorry!! Wrong link!
http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/04/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-10.html

Jennifer Stutzman said...

Great job! You always amaze me!

Tracy said...

This turned out great. I really like the metal embellishments you added.

Gail said...

What an awesome make-over! You have a wonderful blog chock full of inspiration!! I really enjoyed my visit and have become one of your newest followers. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment otherwise I may not have found yours. Easter Blessings to you and your family, Gail

Unknown said...

I love the design on the top, makes it look fantastic xox

Lisha said...

I'm sorry about the boy. It must have been very hard for all of you. I hope he gets due justice.

Your creativity is superb. Great transformations there. Good job! :)

~Lisha

Lisha said...

p.s. I found you through Lori's blog at bleak2unique. I'm your newest linky follower! if you want you can linky follow me back at onehouseonecouple.blogzam.com :)

Cynthia said...

Your table turned out so nicely! I LOVE the top!

Stacey said...

That looks so pretty!
Very nice!
I would love if you stopped by my Creative Inspirations Party to link up!
I would love to have you there!
The party is happening now!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I love your end table! I have a coffee table that is the same style, but haven't done anything with it yet. Graphics Fairy is awesome.
I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin, how tragic. I know the family must be hurting terribly. Saying a prayer for peace and comfort for you all.

Sabrina said...

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin's son. I will say a prayer for your family.

And... your table transformation is gorgeous!!!! Beautiful job! Love the stamp!

Shannon said...

Gorgeous table transformation!!!! Perfect accents!
Shannon
(www.akadesign.ca)

garagesalesrus said...

I LOVE the old hinges and hardware. They put a great finishing touch to your project!

Robin @
garagesalesrus.blogspot.com

Rose Jesky said...

Ho My gosh it beautiful. I want it so bad, you did such a good job. You have a wonderful blog. I 'm a new follower in GFC and Linky, I would love it if you came by to visit me and link up to my linky party this Sunday @http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
Hope you come
Rose

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

What a fun piece--love the top. Thanks for linking up!

Hannah said...

Wow! I would love to do this to my entertainment stand. Love your blog, following you now :)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

The table looks great. The graphic, and added embellishments were the perfect touch.

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

So sorry for your families loss. It's so tragic when teasing is taken this far.

I do love your table. The hinges are so perfect and the finish is beautiful. I don't see how you can sell it. I'm visiting from Funky Junk Interiors.

Have a lovely weekend!
Deborah

Ivy and Elephants said...

I am so sorry to hear about your family loss. That was incredibly sad. This bullying thing really is quite serious, big or small.

I must say your table is awesome. You added just the right touches to make the table gorgeous. This is such a wonderful post! I would love it if you would share this at our WIW linky party. Hope to see you there.

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

ANNE said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, what a shock that must have been. My heart goes out to you and to his parents and family.

Your table is magnificent and the little metal touches are inspiring! I love the whole look of it.

xox

Cynthia said...

Your table is fantastic. I love it. I am your newest follower.

I am sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. My heart goes out you and your family.
I just found you through Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors. Your end table turned out gorgeous! Love your blog! Looking forward to following more of your creative projects.
Sharla

Skylar Magazine said...

First of all I am very sorry for your loss. 14 years old is just way too young.

I am a new follower, I found you through Make the Scene Monday and am following via GFC, Linky Follower, and Pinterest.

You did an awesome job on this! The table looks great! I'm kind of new to arts and crafts, haven't started any projects yet, right now I'm just scoping out Pinterest and other blogs for ideas. Not quite sure exactly where I would like to start. There are quite a few things I am interested in.

I'm always looking for creative people to feature on my blog Skylar and I am also looking for guest bloggers. We pretty much cover everything so you can pretty much write about anything including a project you are working on or even a finished project.

I would love for you to stop by and check it out and you are welcome to follow back. If you are ever interested in guest blogging or want to show off a project or your work let me know.

Thanks and have an awesome day!

Sarah
http://skylarinc.blogspot.com/

Becca @ The Sassy Penguin said...

You did a fantastic job, there is not one thing about this table I don't love!

I am so sorry for your loss.

Debbiedoos said...

WOW, Beth I really love this piece. The top is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing with the newbie party.

Tami Michel said...

Great transformation. I love the hinges, a very pretty touch!
~Tami @ Curb Alert!

Tina said...

So, sorry to hear about your cousin. It is very tragic when someone so young leaves this world.

Your end table transformation is wonderful.

Visiting from the Newbie Party.

Claudine from ReStory.ca said...

Just found your table at the graphics fairy party. Loved it.
I am so sorry about your cousin's son. I have a friend that lost her son
about the same age same scenario. Hard to find comforting words at times like this.

Marty Walden said...

Sorry about your loss. Such a tragedy.
You did a great job on your table. I linked on BNOFP a table my husband made. Have a great day!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

This table is lovely - the trim makes it so unique!

Gypsy Heart said...

It's heartbreaking about your cousin's son. I am so very sorry...will hold them in prayer.

Your table is absolutely gorgeous! I love the way you finished the legs and the hardware is perfect for it. I'd love to do some sort of transfer for mine, however, I'm so afraid I'll ruin something. You did a wonderful job.

I stopped by from Debbiedoo's and so glad I did! I'm a new follower and look forward to more of your creativity. Stop by and say hi when you can!

Pat

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I am so, so sorry to hear about your cousin's son. That is just so tragic...and I hope the bully is held accountable.

Your table looks great! Love the paint colors/effect.

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

thistlewoodfarm said...

Those hinges are the perfect addition to the table! I love the image on the top (love the graphics fairy, too)!

blessings,
karianne

Sherry said...

I'm sorry to hear of your cousin's lost...you did a wonderful job of the table, the hinges made it pop!

Stacey said...

Wow! Those are nice looking legs!
I am so glad you came by to link up to the party at Embracing Change!
Please come back this week again! I would love to have you there!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking up, you are being featured later this evening!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What a great transformation! Saw your feature at Alderberry Hill. Nice job!

Bliss said...

Stopping over from your feature at Alderberry hill. I saw the top and was totally surprised to see the whole table..... and discover I have two of that very same table. They were hand me downs from my mom. I will have to see what I can come up with as a copy cat, because your's look wayyyyyyyy better. I pinned it to remind me.

~Bliss~

Candy said...

What a great makeover.....doesn't even look like the same table. And, I love the graphic on the stained top.
Im your newest follower. Please come follow me at http://www.PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com.

Candy said...

Whoops.....already followed you on your last post. Well, I guess that just shows how much I enjoy your blog. Sorry. 8-)

One More Time Events said...

Love this makeover... Great job...would love it if you came by and shared it at One More Timehttp://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/05/share-it-one-more-timemay-features-and.html

Nicole@nicole-southerncharm.com/ said...

This is so cute! I love it! I a new follower from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Nicole

Anonymous said...

I love this look, but where are the actual steps to how you refinished it?

rylierachelle said...

What is the paint color on the legs. Also what stain color and brand did you use on table top. It turned out beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...