Jan 1, 2013

Need Google+ for Dummies (or Idiots) & 2013 Goals

OK, I'm going to start with a little background info to explain myself. I've been signed up with Google+ for about a year, or so. I never really did much with it, except join some Circles. That is, until yesterday. I thought I might just want to expand on it a little more than I had. I guess maybe I should have educated myself more than I did BEFORE just falling over that Google+ cliff, without a parachute

I start clicking on stuff, adding some information, including some links. As it turns out, I couldn't get things to link back to where I wanted them to - like, ohhhh I don't know, how about MY BLOG for starters! Instead, it takes you to another Google+ page that I must have started with the same title as my blog, but with no way to get you here. Luckily, my blogging friend, Tracy, informs me that she can't get to MY blog when she clicks on my name after I've left a comment on HER blog. It used to, but I guess I changed that somewhere along the line, and now it takes her to my Google+ page, which then takes her to another Google+ page with my blog name on it, but no link to actually get you to the blog. That's not going to help my traffic feed, is it? DOH!

What I'd like to do is get rid the Under A Pile of Scrap! Google+ listing. In the meantime, I think I may have eliminated some confusion by deleting the post that took you to that blog profile, but I'd like to just get rid of it all together. When I try to do that, I get this scary message that says I'll be permanently deleted in Google+, but I am scared to do that, because knowing my luck, I'll end up deleting the Beth Marohn Google+ account too. 

Clear as mud? I thought so...

Ok now, let's see, do I have anything to show you that's more interesting after just boring you to tears with my Google+ hang-ups? 

Thinking...
...

...

...

...

thinking...

...

...

...
*This next part is my 2nd installment of the Folk Magazine 2013 Journal Agenda Plan 


OK, how about this? Since I just posted about my Favorite Projects of 2012 HERE, why don't I talk about projects that I plan to work on in 2013? I think it would be fun to look back at the end of 2013 to see how many of these goals I actually hit, not that I'll remember to do it, but just in case I do, maybe I'll set the bar low. That way if I do well, it will make me feel like Super Woman! Yeah, that's the plan!


Here is a drawer I found at a church sale. I started on it, so it's got potential for getting finished in 2013. There's no guarantees though.


Inside the drawer was ok, but had some yellow paint and some nail polish. It's all cleaned up now. I used some Goof Off and sanded it too. Since it was being painted over, it didn't have to be perfect, but it did turn out decent enough.




This is a table base with a serving tray top that I'm praying hoping to turn into a side table for a customer.
Nice, eh? She would probably have a cow if she seen it in this condition.

This is another table that the same customer is wanting as well. Let me just say, this bugger was impossible to sand the paint off of. (yes, I did actually start on it too). If I was smart, I would have tried using stripper at some point because even my husband could barely get it off with a belt sander!
Luckily, the paint on the legs was just chipping off in hunks. Just used an air hose for those!

I posted about this King chair last year, and it's in the ever growing pile of projects that are on order from the same lady who's getting the 2 side tables already mentioned. The seat has been removed and another wooden one has been cut to take it's place. She wanted this chair, but she wanted a wooden seat on it instead so I could put a graphic on it. You don't get the same effect if you're trying to do that graphic design on a rush seat. In a way, it's kind of a shame, because as you can see, the seat is in great shape! Most used chairs with rush seats are damaged or just plain gone.
 
So these 3 things are definitely going to get made in 2013.

Plus, I have a huge chalkboard to make for a friend, but I haven't gotten around to taking the before picture of that. And I just got a message from her last night that now she wants a different one, so it's good I didn't start on the first choice. See? Procrastination can pay off!

Isn't this the cutest thang?! Believe me when I say that I'm too tempted to start on this before anything else, but I have to remember there are other priorities.

Drawer front close-up


Below is one of two barstools that I picked up and had even started on, AND almost finished. However, I've had a change of plans that will hopefully make them irresistible to a customer. ;) 


I'm sooo thrilled to have found this cool card file below. I found it at a teacher's garage sale. 
It is heavier than wang too! Whatever "wang" weighs, it's even MUCH heavier than that! It's sitting on an end table sideways, so don't be confused that it goes with it, but it does make it look even more interesting, don't ya think? Hmmmm....

I have plans for it in my head. It remains to be seen if it works out.

I have several chairs waiting to find a new life, and more "smalls" than I can shake a stick at to be completed.

One of my goals for the early part of this year is to try to get all my projects in a better organized state so that you don't see all the junk inspiration as soon as you walk in my front door. I started on that a little bit, but any more with that will have to wait until the Christmas decorations are put away. Luckily, I didn't go all out this year, so there isn't that much to take down & put away. 

I have other things I'd like to get done also, but these are for myself, like painting my kitchen cabinets & the hallway, just for starters.

Some of these things are short term goals and some are more like long term.

But...
 
I kind of have a secret goal for the year and I'm a little scared to put it out there for fear that it will jinx it or cause it to fail. It's long term, but here goes...

I have hopes that I touched on in my Letter to Me as part of the first installment of the Folk Journal Agenda. 

I am kind of hoping to start my own little shop here at my home. My husband has been almost hounding me to do this for the past year. And after seeing the success I've had at my craft shows and the people that were literally strangers telling me that I really need to consider opening my own shop, kind of got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, this could be something to consider. Since that little seed has been planted in my brain, I've thought about how I want to put it together, but scared about all the legalities of it all. This would have to be my biggest goal for 2013, wouldn't you say?   
*****************************

Our only celebratory plans for the New Years Day is to have pork tenderloin sandwiches at the local Penguin Point fast food restaurant (there are only about 12 locations in the north central Indiana area). They serve this sandwich with shredded cabbage & it's very good! It covers having pork and greens for a prosperous year AND I don't have to cook?  It's already proving to be a good start to the new year! 

HAPPY 2013!!

Beth


I'm linking up the following parties: 

Furniture Feature Fridays

 






4 comments:

karen@somewhatquirky said...

But what about the black-eyed peas? They are a must for luck. Of course I ate none of the above so I guess I won't be lucky. Sorry about the google problems. I think you were very brave! Good luck with your resolutions.

Tracy said...

I have no idea about Google+, I am just happy I can get on your blog now :)
I am so looking forward to seeing what beautiful works of art you do with all your treasures.
I love the card file...now that is a treasure :)

Unknown said...

I am also totally confused by Google+ but it seems to be taking over! I wanted to upload some pics to Picasa Web albums because blogger has been giving me trouble uploading pics to my blog. I can't seem to find that option in Picasa anymore...now it's sync to Google Plus. I think Google and Blogger are messing with us. Not sure I like it!

Debbie said...

Well, 2 things: Thanks for visiting me at A Million Skies today AND thanks for reminding me why I haven't ventured out into the Google+ world yet! Actually I think I did once, and therefore have exactly ONE contact there, but have no idea what or how to get to that person. I am just not sure I want to try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...