Jul 6, 2012

Feeling A LIttle Frenchy ... Oooh La La!



I have been working feverishly, & the fever is not brought on by the heat of the 100+ degree temperatures we've been having either, but by the need to get enough projects done to fill TWO large booth spaces at my favorite craft venue in November.

A little background about myself, if you don't already know this... I am a procrastinator in just about every stretch of the imagination. I also don't do well with finishing projects either, so this does NOT make for a good combination when you have deadlines. I am determined to change this pattern this year. I've done it one year in the past, but once summer came, I fizzled out and then found myself still scrambling at the last minute with not so fabulous ideas that didn't end up working out anyway. I cheated & purchased manufactured items to fill the void. It worked, but I want more hand crafted stuff, even though the majority of the customers don't seem to really care either way.

Another "issue" I have with this craft show? I'm also moving to a different location than I'm used to, which historically draws TONS of people. It's kind of scaring me to move, since the girl I shared the space with before will still be in that location that everyone knows to go to first.

Enough about my fears & inadequacies....

If you haven't read some of my previous posts that showed some of my Primitive styled projects, you can check them out here & here.

I'm not finished with the Primitive projects yet, but for now I'm switching gears by going more in the French shabby chic/country direction. I'm starting with a basket that I picked up at a garage sale earlier this summer. Here it is in it's finished state.
basket, painted decor, chalk paint, French inspired, black and white decor

The image I used came from Graphics Fairy and you can get it here. I printed it in black on my home printer onto some drop cloth, then I stitched around the edges in black. I really like how the stitching frames it and will keep the edges of the fabric from fraying beyond the stitching, so it serves 2 purposes. I applied a light coat of spray glue on the back of the fabric to adhere it in place so I could poke holes for the black scrapbooking brads that permanently attach it at the corners to the basket. I don't trust the glue to last, but needed something just to keep it in place.

home decor, French decor, hand made
I painted the natural colored basket with a flat white spray paint. The basket soaks up a lot of the paint, which I like because it gives it that worn look without having to do anything to it! I painted the top rim (inside & out) and the handles with black acrylic paint and distress sanded those.


farmhouse decor, shabby decor, diy, upcycle, repurpose


I think this would look so pretty at the top of a pretty painted hutch or at the foot of a tall accent table in an entry. It could hold magazines too, if you want it for function.

************************************
This project was featured at:


Oh My DIY






 


Photobucket 
I'm linking  to these parties:























26 comments:

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

Love this basket! Thanks for stopping by the bungalow!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I love it- it came out super charming!! Following along- stop by and say hello sometime!

Coreen @ 58 Vintage Faire said...

It's inspirational!...I have an old picnic basket that would look great in this 'style'. I'm just curious, how did you get the drop cloth through your printer?...Thanks Coreen

Heaven's Walk said...

So cute, Beth! I love that you put the fabric through your printer! Great job!! ;)

xoxo laurie

Jeannine said...

I'd buy it from you! Love it!

Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

Maureen Wyatt said...

I love this project so much I just had to become a follower! One more and you have 100 on GFC! ~ Maureen

Anonymous said...

Love the shape of this basket and you did a beautiful job!

Anonymous said...

PS: Love the name of your blog. made me giggle!

Laurel Stephens said...

Your basket is beautiful! If this is the quality of goods you'll be selling in your new booth location, it can't help but be successful.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That's really pretty, Beth! I love black and white and I would really go for this basket. Love the sewing you did around the graphic and the brads. Gives it a nice finish.

visiting from WUW : )

Cynthia said...

Love this! I really like how you added the fabric... looks great.

Unknown said...

Your basket is Fantastic! Found you At the Picket Fence. New follower ;)

I Gotta Try That said...

Found you on 504 Main and I love this basket. I am now following you on linky and GFC. I would love for you to visit, follow back and maybe even link up on my Monday linky party.
Thanks
Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your basket is beautiful.

Dee

Kathy said...

Hi, I am your newest follower from At The Picket Fence!! Your basket is beautiful. I love it.

Unknown said...

That is fantastic.. Now i need to get a basket for the picnic. ;)

Thanks for linking up at Create & Inspire!

Angie

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Great basket makeover! I really like the idea of the graphic design printed on fabric & how you attached it to the basket.
CAS

ArtfullyJune said...

Very cute basket. Good luck on your show.

Tracy said...

This is a great project Beth. I love how it turned out!!!!

The CSI Girl said...

Great refashion! I would love for you to link this up to The CSI project this week. The challenge is refashions/upcycles. This would be perfect and you just might WIN! Come on over each week for a new challenge, new tutorials and new judges.
www.thecsiproject.com

Peggy~PJH Designs said...

I love this basket! You did a wonderful job. Won't you come by and share at Totally Transformed Tuesday? I would love to have you and know my readers would love to see it. Hope to see you there. Peggy :-)

Good Time Charlie said...

Thank you so much for sharing, i am sharing today at my party! Starts at 5 EST. -K

Trixi said...

What a beautiful basket! I like that you printed on fabric, I really must try that some time!

Sonny G said...

That basket looks Fabulous and I dont wanna miss any of your future creations.

your newest follower
Sonny

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Looks wonderful. If you keep going with great ideas like this one, you'll do great at the craft show you're going to. Good luck!

DIYbyDesign said...

I am so glad you linked this up to my party. It's really one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...