Aug 11, 2011

A Chalkboard Project

I have been finding all kinds of awesome looking chalkboards out there in blog land that are being made out of old mirrors, frames & just pieces of wood! If you check out Donna's Funky Junk Interior blog, there's lots of great inspiration there to see! They are just so cool. I did redo one for my hubby on his Coca-Cola board, because the existing chalkboard surface was worn smooth, but that's not on here today.


So, in my garage saling searches for goodies to put in my fall craft shows, I came across a picture (sorry, I am so bad at before pics because I get overzealous to start on my projects when the inspiration strikes!) that I thought it would make an awesome sized chalkboard! But let me tell you, this design was a royal pain in the @$$ to get done and there was more than one attempt at just about every aspect of the project. I'm pretty pleased with the end result, even though the lighter color is not exactly what I wanted, it's what I had to resort to......long story, I won't bore you with the details of that. It's actually a cream color frame & corner design with a chocolate brown chalkboard. I would like to paint a line along each side between the decorative corner designs, but I'm afraid it would just emphasize that the corners are not exactly placed. Who knows? Maybe I'll change my mind and do it after all.


































Is this not a good sized chalkboard? It would look so impressive on a door.






And I thought it looked pretty durn good on our mantel too! I think I could get into making lots of chalkboards and I like how they look with the designs too, but it's not my favorite part of working on them. This was my first one to try the stenciling on, so I learned lots of things, so maybe others will follow and be better to make.

 
 Now about some non-crafty stuff: I'm dealing with some major stuff with my mom right now, some of the chaos she created, but some of it involves dealing with protecting her against someone who is apparently taking advantage of her & the situation, so I'm working on getting Power of Attorney over her, but the damage may be done. In that, case legal recourse will be MY next action, if I even if I don't have a leg to stand on. In speaking with others that understand the responsibilities of people in this person's position, there is STRONG cause for serious concern, so I'm not just being overly protective.


I'm kind of frustrated that my mom wouldn't give me POA years ago when I tried to get it. I don't know if she realizes what has happened and even though I haven't spoke with my mom in 2 1/2 years, I still don't want someone taking advantage of her either. It's not their right.


I've been dealing with a lot of frustration in crafting as well as my personal life. I hope it all has a happy ending for my mom and myself.


I am linking this project up on Funky Junk Interior's blog for the Saturday Night Special (SNS) for FJI Inspired projects.



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


God Bless and have a great day!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow that is a good size chalkboard.
I really love what you did with it.
Nicely done.

🌈🌈🌈 said...

Great job with the stencils Beth! The chalkboard looks great.
Sorry to hear about your Mom...hang in there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...