Mar 17, 2012

Some of my favorite "old" projects


This project was Featured at Northern Cottage & Saved by Suzy!


******************************************

So, I wanted to show you something that my hubby and I made back in 2009. I seen the general idea on Garden Web, but wanted something different that wasn't intended to be sat on, but used for potted flowers instead. Something I didn't have to dig up or repot every year. I wanted something that I could sit the potted plants in and let them do their thing for the season and just removed them when I was done with that look. There's heavy duty metal screening in the bottom for drainage & keeping it lightweight.

Of course, I know you've all seen the benches made from beds, and you've all seen the dresser drawers used as planters. Well, I used both ideas (in a sense), but I'd like to think I was first to combine the 2 concepts. ;^)
 
I bought the Queen sized bed at a garage sale for $2. I didn't realize that it was pieces of boards just glued together. After the season, I noticed the boards starting to separate. My handy hubby attached the boards to a strip of wood on the back to keep them together. He also had to screw the decorative balls & feet together because they were separating too. 

I had some turned posts that I got from my dad and he just cut one down the middle and we added each half as accents on the bench. They're also above the windows on my garden shed below.


This project was also Featured at:





************************************************************

Photobucket

I'll be linking up to the following parties:

 

18 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness this is adorable, I love it.
Where the heck do you find these yard sales, I don't think I could ever find any this cheap here.
Love you little shed as well, to cute.

Tracy said...

I pinned these ;)

Beth said...

Awww Thanks Tracy!

Beth said...

We were really happy how it turned out. Don't worry, I find all kinds of sales that are much higher than I'm willing to pay. I got the impression the lady wanted this bed GONE! I was in the right place at the right time. LOL!

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love it! so cute and i love the red color!

Beth said...

Thanks and it looks even better when it's full of blooming flowers. We need the red to stand out against all the stonework & shady woods we live in.

Debbiedoos said...

Thanks for joining me Beth! Your gardens are so fun and colorful!

{northern cottage} said...

oh love the red bench and that GARDEN SHED - so cool! would love to have you come over to visit anytime (linky party is now open if ya wanna come play!)

www.NorthernCottage.net

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

The red bench is adorable...but the shed is even cuter!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a great idea! I love the bench and the shed. Megan

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

I just fell in love with your garden shed!

:)

Linda

Beth said...

Thank you and thanks for the invite to join in your link party! I did just that!

Beth said...

Thank you for your sweet comment! I plan to do a posting on my garden shed in the near future, because it doesn't look like this today and more work is to be done.

Beth said...

Thank you Megan! - it seems the shed is more popular than the bench. hee hee! But the shed has evolved since this photo was taken and I have more plans for it that will be in a future post!

Beth said...

Hee hee, Thanks! The shed seems to be drawing a lot of attention and I love how it turned out. It has evolved a bit more since this photo was taken and I hope to do a post on it a bit later.

Abbie said...

Love your pretty red potting bench!

And I would LOVE it if you'd stop over and share this at Feature Friday
FREE-FOR-ALL, which just went live!

Can't wait to see you there!

http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/03/feature-friday-free-for-all-12.html

P.S. New follower! Great blog! : )

~Abbie

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Wow...what a cute idea! Speaking of cute, your garden shed is adorable. Thanks for linking to my party!

michele said...

sighhhhhh. soaking up the inspiration.

come visit anytime--great giveaway right here: http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-giveaway.html

smiles.

michele

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...