Jul 5, 2011

Another outdoor project complete.

We have been feverishly working away at trying to get things squared away for my son's high school graduation party this coming Saturday. Things are not complete & perfect around here & I'm sure they never will be. That's just how we are. human.

Anyway, we did manage to get half of one of those little projects done over this holiday weekend. Notice, I said HALF done. Yes, it is a rare occasion that any DIY project ever really gets 100% complete at my home. There are some, but they are few. They get mostly done, at least to the point that it can sort of look like it's complete to the naked eye, but upon closer examination you will notice that there is no baseboard trim or the trim piece between hardwood floor and carpet. Things happen that just prevent us from being able to finish what we start sometimes. It's either a lack of funds or a scheduling conflict that brings the project at hand to a screeching halt.

Well enough about that. Man, do I babble on or what? So we had purchased 4 candle lanterns maybe 2 years ago on clearance for $11 each. We thought that was still expensive (yes, we are cheap..e'hem "frugal") but compared to the $30/ea. we thought it was a good deal, especially considering what we really wanted to do with them! I was just thinking out loud about how cool they would look as lanterns on our deck if they were lights instead of candles. Of course, my hubby is very handy in all sorts of things. He said he could probably make that happen,s o we got them & they've been patiently sitting around for their debut. Two of them get their grand appearance to the world this weekend. The other two are going to have to wait for the other stairway some other time. I'm sure it won't be this year.....(picture rolling eyes here). The lanterns were originally a grayish green painted patina that I painted a satin black.

This is how they look with the lights off. We haven't put the cushions on the patio furniture yet because we don't want it getting wet before the party.




This is how they look with the lights on. Since I just took the pictures this morning so you don't get the full ambiance of them in the dark.




This is a view with one of the lanterns on, but you can see the rope lights on under the railing too.


We mostly have the yard work done, except for what will need to be mowed & weed eated right before the party. YAY!! Isn't it funny what it takes to light a fire under your butt to get things done that have only been put off for years??? This is part of why I have parties, so we can get stuff done that needed to get done a long time ago. LOL!!

I have also been working on finishing up recovering the cushions to my glider rocker that I've had since I was pregnant with my son. So far, it's coming along OK, but I'm intimidate by putting the old zipper in the new cover. The cushion is shaped funny & it's throwing me off. I guess I just need to do it!

I also need to most likely finish that other mini album I'm making because I invited the grandmother of the girl I made it for so that she can take it back with her. I'm not sure why I do some of the things I do to create more stress in my life, but that what I do!

So, with that, I will say adios. Possibly for the week. I really shouldn't even be on here today, but I think I'm having internet withdrawal. *snicker!*

God Bless & have a great day!

P.S. I've decided to link up to my first link up party with this Outdoors-In project at Funky Junk Interiors Blog.








Photobucket

2 comments:

Tracy said...

LOL, I can so relate.
We still need baseboards in the basement.
We get on a roll and go gung hoe, then, life happens.
We seem to only do home improvement projects in Feb. when hubby is on holidays.

Love your patio, gorgeous. Those lights are beautiful.
Good job to you and your hubby.

🌈🌈🌈 said...

Oh you are too funny Beth! Love how you've created ambiance with your new lanterns. Everything that needs to come along will get done...congrats on the graduated teen by the way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...