Apr 20, 2012

My Auction Treasure!


I have to admit that I haven't seen much of anything done in blog land with the auction treasure I found, but that's not to say that there hasn't been something truly inspiring done and I just ain't found it (yet).

You see, last weekend my hubby went to a farm consignment auction for some tractor tires for his IH Farmall tractor. I wasn't able to go, since our daughter had a friend spending the weekend with us and this was just not something that a couple of 8 year old princesses want to do for a few hours, not to mention it was kind of cold & yucky out. 

While there, my sweet hubby was also trying to scout out some of the items for me that were listed on the sale bill. This is where I love cell phones, and even though we don't have the fancy phones that require over-priced data plans, we can take & send pictures. We do this all the time when either of us finds something that we think the other person might be interested in. He still had quite a bit of time to kill before he had to deal on his tires and was sending me pictures of the items of interest. It turns out that there were only 2 things that I actually wanted him to bid on. Some wooden cheese boxes and these.

barrels, kegs, farmhouse, farm house, rustic, barn wedding, barn decor, primitive
Just in case you're not familiar with what these actually are, they're called nail kegs - obviously it states that on the yellow tag. They were used to ship large quantities of nails in, and in many cases, the stores just left the nails in the kegs to sit on the floor of their shop and you just scooped out what you needed and paid for them by the pound. The tag also shows that there were supposed to be 3, but apparently, the third one had legs and walked off or rolled away. ???

I told my husband that my maximum bid would be $20 for the lot. It ended up being only $12.50! After he got them home, I went online to see how much these bad boys go for. Are you kidding me?? These aren't that cheap. I found ONE for $40 on Ebay and it was missing a ring! There were some on Etsy for around $20, but you have to pay for shipping and that can't be cheap either. 

As far as I can tell, these are both in excellent shape and I'm trying to come up with something clever to do with them. I have one idea, but I'm not 100% sold on it & several others are floating in my head. Some days there's lots of room for floating in there. Maybe if I would have had the 3rd one, I'd do it and still have 2 left to do something else with.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

It's supposed to rain today, but it's taking it's sweet time getting here. I don't normally want rain, but I'm getting tired of having to water my plants already. The bad part to the rain coming is that it's supposed to get colder again. We haven't had any significant rain here in over 2 weeks & I have really sandy soil. I guess there's not many April showers for us year.  Crazy weather. 80's in March, no rain in April, kinda scared to see what May holds for us.

Have a Creative day!


Photobucket
I'm linking up to these parties:

7 comments:

outjunking said...

I have to have barrels. They started out to be a tomato garden at my back door. Now they are holding thorny shrubs my husband dislikes in the yard but bird like. If they were mine i would use one for a rain barrel/ water feature. They are going to be fun.

Tracy said...

Those are such a cool find :)
Can't wait to see what you come up with for these beauties :)
Okay you are way more technical than I am, I am pretty sure my phone can take photos. Don't know how to do it, for sure don't know how to send them, lol.

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I LOVE those barrels, I had one outside at our previous house but it got worn down from all of the elements...should have definitely put it in the garage for winter. Hopefully you've corralled all of the swirling thoughts into a plan. :)

Candy said...

Ahhh, nail kegs. I missed 3 at a recent auction. Someone else outbid me. There are so many ways to use them. Put glass or a round piece of wood on top to make a table. Use next to the door for umbrellas or old walking sticks. They become a plant stand when you sit a plant atop one. Sooooo many uses. I'm anxious to see what you decide to do with yours. 8-)

Andrea Amu said...

I think I just saw one of these recently that was transformed into a wine rack! Think I saw it on Pinterest...

Good deal at 12.50!
Can't wait to see what you come up with for them!

Sherry said...

What a great deal, these are so cool! There are so many things you can do with those kegs (ok, I thought they were barrels). I can't wait to see what you do.

Heather @ The JUNKtion said...

Awesome find! I currently have one used as a side table in my living room and one as a plant stand in my kitchen. Obviously not too creative, but I love them just the way they are and couldn't bring myself into doing much with them because of their great old character. Anxious to see what yours become.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...